Friday, November 18, 2011

Cotulla

Day 12

It's late and I'm tired so I might ramble or this might be pretty short.

We are 12 miles from Cotulla.  I've been there everyday for the last three days and will probably have to run in tomorrow to pick up our mail.

It's a small town around 3700 people.  Before the present oil boom it was a very depressed town. It's on the upswing with all the supporting industries and equipment needed in the fields.  While driving around Cotulla you can see all the signs of a vanishing town.  Mostly everything run down.  However, with all the influx of people in support of the oil fields there are also signs of new life.  The traffic is heavy, new stores and buildings popping up, long lines in the fast food joints around the freeway exit.  Cotulla boasts both a Family Dollar and a Dollar General.  It also has a new grocery store, the Super S.  But, alas, no Walmart.  We have to go north 40 miles to Pearsall for that.

Today we went to the laundromat.  There are 2 in town, but we went to the one that was the nicer of the 2.  Very reasonable....$1 to wash and $1 to dry (one cycle was enough to dry the jeans).  It was in a newer brick building and shared space with a cute little flower shop.  The staff, of which there were 2, were very friendly and very helpful.  You know you are in an oil town when some washers are marked "oilfield clothes" and some dryers are marked "NO oilfield clothes".

In fact everyone here is very friendly.  Everyone says "ma'am" and "sir" and are so polite.  I could get used to this.

Ok, I didn't take a nap today, I can barely keep my eyes open and there has been no traffic at the gate since just after midnight.  It's now almost 2 am.  Dave will be up in about an hour to spell me, so I think I'll go doze in the recliner.

Sorry, once again no pictures.  I'll work on it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Your comment will be posted after moderation.