Saturday, April 7, 2012

"Google It"

Just Google it.  I used to look up things the old fashioned way.  The phone book.  411 information. Paper instruction manuals. Call a company and ask questions.  Go to the reference section in the library. Hell, just ask a friend.

I'm not computer illiterate.  I learned most of my computer stuff on the job as I went.  I had my first PC on my desk at work in 1987.  Ordered three of them for the department I worked in at a postgraduate school.  I had to research which ones to buy, what kind of hardware was required, what kind of software to include and then had to teach my boss how to use it.  Email was on a DOS screen and you had to know the codes.  After that, every newest thing that came out was of interest to me.  Had to learn it, had to have it.

My kids grew up in the Nintendo age and were of the first generation for computers to become normal school equipment, but I was still the one they asked when they had computer questions or problems.  I had a hard time understanding why other people my age weren't jumping on the band wagon or did not want to learn how to use them.

Jump to the last few years.  I still try to keep up.  I still want the new stuff.  (I see an Ipad in my future)  But for some reason it took me longer to realize I could answer any question by just Googling it.  Didn't always get the RIGHT answer, but it always gave me an answer.

Now I have embraced Googling.  I rely on whitepages.com.  I got rid of my paper dictionary for an online one.  Calculator?  Google it.  Capital of Croatia?  Google it.  Restaurants in any city?  Google it.  Google it, Google it, Google it.

I have Googled my name, my family's names and names of old friends.  I've Googled obituaries, dog names and appliances.  The most useful google?  Error messages on my computer and software.

So, is googling in the dictionary?  Yep!  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/google?s=t

Do you have a question?  Google it.  But take everything with a grain of salt because not everything you read on the Internet is helpful or true.

Wait, wait!  Still need a picture!

Balloon Fiesta, Albuquerque, NM 2011
I know, totally unrelated, but I liked it.  Besides now you can Google the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta!

3 comments:

  1. research before the internet was SO hard. Even now I occasionally look for something and can't find it. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What did we do without Google? Have shelves filled with encyclopedias? Wait for answers? Get lost? I visit Google at least 6 times a day - probably more! It takes the drama out of travel for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how much Google has improved my life--especially as a writer! So much information at my fingertips. :)
    Great A-Z post!
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Your comment will be posted after moderation.