Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Clever and Creative

Well, I've never considered myself either one of those adjectives.  I'm not crafty and my ventures into them have had decidely unmixed results of not being well finished.  When I think of those two words, that's what I think of, crafts. The only one I have been successful at is matting and framing pictures.
I took a class, oh about 14 years ago, on Fort Riley.  I didn't use that instruction for a long time.  When I finally started going to the frame shop regularly I found I not only enjoyed it but it was relaxing and I was pretty good at it.  I've framed things for myself, my kids, my friends and even a few pieces for pay.

My two favorite things I matted and framed were 2 pictures my youngest children did in grade school.  The obligatory paint hands of my son from kindergarten and an alphabet picture from my youngest daughter.  Childrens artwork is fun to mat and frame because of the bright colors and no matter how you mat them or frame them they look wonderful.  They looked great hanging in my stairwell, reminding me of them as children and when we sold the house the kids loved having them to hang in their own houses.

Other than that I don't think I have ever felt particularly clever or creative.  I'm not saying that to be negative, just how I am.  I'm like Meg Ryan in "You've Got Mail".  I can never think of clever comebacks at the time needed.  Only later do I think of the good ones and then never an occasion to use them again.  I was always the person to do the job, get things done, take care of the problems and I suppose in those capacities I had to be a little of both.

I've never really felt creative in my writing, I just write what I'm thinking about.  I usually have to search for something to write about and writing about our days on our journey has made it easier.  With this A to Z Challenge I'm pushing myself more trying to be clever and come up with more creative subjects.  So far so good, I think, although we are only on the third letter.  Hmmmm, I guess we'll see if I can go 23 more letters and I don't repeat myself.

Gotta add a picture.  I never feel a post is complete without one, so here ya go.

Carnival at Sunset - Nebraskaland Days 2011, North Platte, NE 

9 comments:

  1. That is a fantastic photo! I'd say your photo is creative and so are you. I think your blog is great.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another good post. I was at Ft. Riley, KS in 1975 and 1976, I think it was. Went to Ft. Riley Junior High School for one year, (I think one, maybe 2) and to Junction City High School for one year. Sometimes it's a small world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My oldest daughter, Adrienne just below, graduated from Junction City HS. It is indeed a small world!

      Delete
  4. I'm a lot like you mom. I'm not creative at all, im just a getter done type of girl :) Love your posts and that pic is AMAZING. You should frame that!

    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometime getting a job done and problem solving takes a lot of creativity. I love the photo your posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're going GREAT! :D
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for the compliments, although I was NOT fishing for them! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Your comment will be posted after moderation.