Monday, April 2, 2012

Bugs

When I was little we had a boy in one of the many neighborhoods I lived in.  We called him Bugs. I don't remember his real name, nor do I remember where we lived when I knew him. (Army brat).  We called him Bugs because he ATE bugs, ANY bugs, even the most disgusting ones.  It always fascinated me that he could put those things in his mouth and the moving parts didn't immediately kick in the gag reflex.  Lots of times my own gag reflux kicked in but I couldn't stop watching him eat them.  At times you could even hear the crunchiness of them.  EWWWW!

I'm not especially scared of bugs, nor am I enamored of them, but being in the South of Texas has introduced me to ones I've never seen before.  Some of them do give me the heebie jeebies.

This one
I call it the Kamikaze Beetle.  It flies, but with no discernible control.  They smack into the sides and top of the trailer making a sound like a small piece of hail.  They smack into the top of the awning, slide down, hit the ground and take off running haphazardly.  Much like their flying they seem to have no control of where they are running to.  When I am sitting outside at night I hear the THWACK of them hitting the trailer or the awning and then the scrabble of their little legs as they run across the patio mat.  Had one up my shirt one night.....ran inside, pulled my shirt off, shook it out and then looked to make sure it was gone.  The whole time I was going EWW, EWW, EWW, EWWWWWW!  Good thing we are out in the middle of nowhere or the neighbors would think I'm nuts.

8 comments:

  1. Bugs and Texas - they sort of go together! Well, at least your Kamikazes aren't tree roaches . . . EWWW, EWWW, EWWWWWWWWW! Great post, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ewww is right! New follower here. I’m enjoying reading my fellow “A to Z”ers. I look forward to visiting again.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings! New follower and fellow Texan here! I hate bugs of any kind. Since summer is coming up I am not looking forward to the barrage of insects that will soon be everywhere! Thanks for a great post and good luck this April! Bye.

    Dusty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like bugs. That's the bad thing about summer.

    Enjoy A to Z.

    Monti
    Mary Montague Sikes

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me try that again! ewwwwwwww I really hate bugs!!!! but some are a necessary evil I guess :)

    I also had a neighbourhood kid like yours, mine loved to eat worms too

    Greetings from the A to Z trail,
    Sylvia @ Playful Creative

    ReplyDelete
  7. So this is what we have to look forward to as gate guards in Texas in summer, along with rattlesnakes, scorpions, mice, rats, tarantulas, hurricanes and dust. Wow, I can't wait, she says, dripping with irony.
    Susan
    http://travelbug-susan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't mind the bugs - until they fly down my shirt, eww!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Your comment will be posted after moderation.