Sunday, January 15, 2012

I think I'm going to blog tonight

I've been saying that for the last 4 nights.  I hate to wait so long between blogging, mainly because my kids comment "Mom you haven't blogged lately!"  And they are right to feel that way because I started this blog as a way to share our life with them now that we are not in the same area.  But it's a little difficult to write when there really is almost nothing going on.  My name is not Jerry Seinfield.  I have a hard time writing about nothing.

Hmmmmmm
I'll take a stab at it though.

It was a pretty quiet week at the Circle Y ranch.  We heard at the beginning of the week that the Work Over was going to start and we should expect to be very busy.  Not.  Of course no one ever really tells us what is going on.  We'll know the Work Over is starting when the traffic gets heavy.  That's the only warning we get.  I'm pretty sure that's the way it is for most gate guards.  We're only here to open the gate and log em in and out.

The ranch owner invited us to dinner last night.  Jack from around the corner was nice enough to come over and sit with the girls while we were gone.  As a reward we shared our leftovers with him.  Shish kabobs, succatash and some yellow cake with chocolate frosting.  We were gone for about an hour and a half and really enjoyed our time.  They are usually here each weekend working on the place, hunting and checking on the sites to see where they're at in the process.  Next weekend he has rented a helicopter to do a game survey and they have offered to take us up.  Dave said yes, I said no way.

Dave started out his Army career as a helicopter mechanic and crew chief, so he welcomed the chance to go up again.  Me?  I HATE flying!  Don't plan on doing it EVER again!  I'll be sure and have pictures though for a blog next week.

The animal population of the ranch seems to have a routine.  We see the cow herd about every 4 days.  There are two deer herds across the way.  Mule deer (I think) and Red Stag deer.  We see them about once a week for 2 or 3 days in a row.  The two horses across the way are out most every day.  Caitie was feeding them carrots and apples while she was here and I guess they expected me to keep up the treats.  I did go over one day last week and give them some carrots, but I don't want them to expect it every time!

Today I saw my first Pyrrhuloxia.  And, no, I don't know how to pronounce it.  I guess it at peer-hue-locksee-ah.  Couldn't get a picture today but it does look just like the top picture in that link.

So, other than those things the week was pretty routine.  Cleaning, laundry, grocery store and the post office.  We did finally get a post card our grand daughter EmmaRae mailed to us in December.  She addressed it herself to Nana and Papa. It's a good thing I asked the postal workers about it a few weeks ago and explained it was addressed to us that way or they never would have known who it was to go to.  No last name, just "to Nana and Papa".

Speaking of the post office, I just love this one in Cotulla.  I ran into town knowing we had a priority envelope waiting for us. Got out of here in plenty of time to get there before the Noon closing.  Surprise!  They close at 11:00 on Saturdays and it was already 11:30.  BUT, the nice gentleman postal worker hollered out to ask me what I needed and brought my mail out to me!  LOVE them over there!

Well, that wasn't too bad for nothin.  

Ok gang. The gate is locked and the news and weather are over.  I'm pretty sure the company security man is coming tonight so I will doze until he does.

Happy January!

6 comments:

  1. Well now, Doris.

    For a blog about nothing, you did excellent in telling of the habits of the nearby herds and visiting birds. Well done.

    Oh, and I'll bet the family welcomes whatever you write and whenever it comes. Keep it up.

    Oh, I would say that you really ought to go up in the helicopter if possible. Do you really expect a former helicopter man to watch out for possible aerial photos?

    Now, if you are truly fearful, ignore my words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now, Doris.

    For a blog about nothing, you did excellent in telling of the habits of the nearby herds and visiting birds. Well done.

    Oh, and I'll bet the family welcomes whatever you write and whenever it comes. Keep it up.

    Oh, I would say that you really ought to go up in the helicopter if possible. Do you really expect a former helicopter man to watch out for possible aerial photos?

    Now, if you are truly fearful, ignore my words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya done good making somethin out a nothin. Life on the ranch is good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. can't agree more with liking the Cotulla P.O. they are really great there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are two of my favorite guards! Ken

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow Doris... taking a ride in a helocopter is on my bucket list! Wish our owner would invite me. I don't know if he even has access to one. Our owner is very nice, but he does not live nearby.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Your comment will be posted after moderation.